How to Respond in a Tough Situation
Being in a car accident is the last thing anyone wants - but when it does
happen, there are ways of making sure that the legal and insurance issues
are handled with as little stress as possible.
- First of all - stay calm.
- If someone is injured, be sure to call for medical
- Make sure you call the police.
- Don't publicly make any statements where you either
accuse the other person of causing the accident or take all the blame
yourself. It could open you up to legal problems.
- Whatever you do, don't leave the scene until you've had
a chance to talk with the officer and you've gotten their name. It's
important to make sure that your side of the story goes on the record.
Afterward, it's a good idea to get a copy of the police report.
- Make sure you have a pre-printed copy of your insurance
information in the glove compartment, along with a camera you can use to
provide pictures for the insurance company.
- In dealing with the other driver, make sure you get
their name, address, driver's license number and insurance information - and
that they get the same information from you.
- Also, make sure to get information from any witnesses
- Make sure you get pictures of any physical evidence of
what could have caused the accident.
- Write down pertinent details such as where the accident
took place, what the weather was like, etc.
- Once the information's exchanged, report the accident
to the insurance company immediately, even if it's not your
- Make sure you understand how you're covered, and don't
be afraid to ask the insurance company to explain the conditions of your
coverage and payments.
- Don't be afraid to seek legal advice - and don't sign
anything if you don't understand it.
- When you're using a body shop to get repairs to your
vehicle, be aware that the insurance company can recommend a shop, but you
are under no legal obligation to use its services. You have the legal right
to choose the shop to do your repairs.
Remember - Drive Safely!
To make an appointment, call us at